Sunday 9 September 2007

Tearing Purple Holes for Christmas


Friday's Daring CardMakers challenge got done on Sunday this week...working is soooooo inconvenient! Here is the challenge -

So, we'd like you to make and show a Christmas card which incorporates the following:
Some Paper Tearing
The colour Purple
AND
It has to have at least one hole somewhere in the design!
......BUT by "hole" we don't just mean the sort of hole you poke a brad through, or the holes you make for/with stitching - or even the hole you make to put an eyelet in - although you can use all those techniques too if you want.
We want you to be a bit/lot more inventive and creative than that, and we think you'll be able to come up with some wonderful ideas for making cards to fit this recipe.


The first card has 'purple' background paper with ready made snow, but I heat embossed the snow with holographic powder as I did with the metal 'Christmas' tree and the edge of the 'torn' white flock paper for the snow at the bottom of the card. The flower 'hole' is punched (don't have a snowflake punch yet!) and the snowman sticker is mounted onto white card and suspended from the brad to give movement. I then attached some white angel hair to the back of the aperture, printed 'Let It Snow' onto the white flock and added the greeting on an arrow from DCWV Rock Star Chipboard.

As I wasn't impressed with the first card at the time, I decided to have another go at this challenge. I downloaded some free Pink Petticoat papers a while ago and I really love these funky Christmas papers.

I 'tore' the 'purple' 'Christmas' tree shape, added some ribbon brads and made 'holes' with my ribbon punch to thread the bottom ribbon through. I finished off by inking the edges using alternate purple and green which gave a lovely effect which doesn't show up too well in the photograph. A really quick and simple card to make, which could be adapted in lots of different ways, but I like it because of the colours and it isn't 'traditional Christmas'.

12 comments:

Sarah said...

Well I like both of the cards, Very festive!

Dawn Wheeler said...

wow i love your cards ,i like the one with the tree on best ,Dawnx

Karen Mortensen said...

Great cards Juliet!

Anna said...

Both cards are fantastic. I think my favourite is the snowman card. I love the way he is looking through the punched shape.

Deb said...

Great cards, love the funky papers!

Andrea, said...

Great cards, love that snowman

Paula J Atkinson said...

Both cards are fabby but I do adore that snowman. I love that cartoon & Aled Jones singing Walking in the Air.. Makes me feel very christmassy..

And I know all too well how much a 7 hour working day kills your social/craft life!!

Louly said...

Wow! they're both gorgeous. I love the button baubles! You've been busy.

Kathy said...

I like them both, Juliet, but probably the second would be my favourite - love that little tree

Lynne said...

Two fab cards Juliet. Love the snowman peeking throught the hole.

Lythan said...

These cards are great - I love the idea of the torn paper tree!

Mellie said...

Love the colours you have used. Fab cards. Really love the snowman one.